Spring Time Floral Tutorial

Hello Everyone!

With Valentines Day having just past, I'm sure you're just as ready as I am for this winter weather to go away. With all of the fresh flowers around for Valentines it just made me long for spring even further, leading me to simply put spring on my fingers since Mother Nature isn't helping me out any! These nails are actually fairly simple to do, and look way more complex and intricate than they actually are. 

Lets get started! 

For this tutorial you will need:

  • Your favourite basecoat (I used OPI's 'Natural Nail Base')
  • Mint green polish (I used 'Unmistakeable' by Formula X for Sephora)
  • Coral polish (I used 'Suzi's Hungary Again' by OPI)
  • White polish (I used 'White Matter' By Formula X for Sephora)
  • Light pink polish (I used 'Hoopla' by Ciaté)
  • A green striper (I used 'Show Me The Greens' by Misa)
  • Your favourite topcoat (I used Seche Vite's 'Dry Fast Topcoat')
  • A dotting tool, or toothpick
  • A small nail art brush
  • A small piece of aluminum foil
Step 1: On clean nails, paint a layer of your basecoat to ensure that your natural nails are protected.


Step 2: Paint your nails 2 coats of your mint green polish. Make sure you allow the first coat to dry completely before applying the second coat, this will ensure that your polish won't bubble.


Step 3: Once your 2 coats have dried, use your dotting tool and white polish to add random dots over your nails. I like to cluster mine around where I will be adding my flowers. This gives the entire design more visual interest rather than just floral on a plain background. The dots don't need to be perfect, as the flowers will mostly cover them anyways.



Step 4: Using your coral polish, place small circular shaped strokes on your nails. For this step I generally just use the brush straight out of the polish bottle because it allows you to do this step more quickly, as well as have more control of how much polish goes on each circle. I'd suggest making the circles fairly thin, as they will be mostly covered by the details we will be adding. Don't worry if your circles aren't perfect, these are simply the backdrop for the flowers and the less perfect they are, the more realistic your flowers will look.


Step 5: On your aluminum foil, put small blobs of your white polish and of your light pink polish. We will be using these to create details inside of your flowers. Put the two blobs of colours close enough together so that you can mix them slightly by swirling them together. Don't mix them together fully, you should still be able to see a swirled effect between the two polishes.

(Mixing the polishes on aluminum foil causes them to not dry out as quickly as they would if you mixed them on plain paper. This gives you more working time with the polishes you have out!)

Step 6: Using your small nail art brush, dip it into the middle swirled section of your polishes so you get a mixture of both the pink and the white. Paint 3 small lines in the middle of each of your flowers, dipping into your polish mixture whenever necessary. When painting the lines I usually make the two outside lines slightly curved, and the inner line straighter. I like using the swirled effect because it makes each flower look slightly unique. 


Step 7: Using your green striper, create small leaves on the outside edges of the flowers.


Step 8: Finish off with a fast drying top coat to seal in your new beautifully done nails! 


There you have it, a simple floral manicure. The one thing I love about this manicure is that you don't need to be particularly neat while your painting, because the messiness is one of the things that makes it look more realistic! Hopefully this manicure will help your winter blues melt away.

If you're inspired by this tutorial, post a picture on Instagram using #prettiestpolish so I can see your lovely work! If you have any comments, suggestions for tutorials, or future blog posts you'd like to see, leave me a comment down below!

Have an amazing week, and may your nails be BEAUTIFUL!







No comments:

Post a Comment