Ikat Inspired Manicure Tutorial

Hello Everyone!

With summer just around the corner, I've noticed a lot of ikat pattered scarves and clothing floating around stores. I absolutely love the ikat pattern, so I decided to try it out on my nails!

A lot of the time when I do this design I get asked if I'm wearing nail stickers, but this is actually one of the messiest nail art designs that I've come across! This design requires no dotting tools or any other special brushes. It simple requires plain polishes and 2 stripers. This is my favourite nail art design to do if I'm in a hurry, but still want something that looks neat on my nails. It's really simple to do, and it honestly doesn't matter how messy you paint, because it will still end up looking awesome in the end!

Let's get started!

For this tutorial you will need:

  • Your favourite base coat (I used OPI's 'Natural Nail Base')
  • Dark greyish green polish (I used 'Goodbye Shoes' by Nicole by OPI)
  • Deep red polish (I used 'Aisha' by Julep)
  • A white striper (Mine is from Sally Beauty Supply)
  • A black striper (Also from Sally Beauty Supply)
  • Your favourite top coat (I used Seche Vite's 'Dry Fast Topcoat)

Step 1: On clean nails, paint a layer of your basecoat to ensure that your natural nails are protected.


Step 2: Paint 2 coats of your grey polish, allowing drying time between each coat. 


Step 3: Using your white striper, paint triangular shapes onto your nails on the edges. It will look better the messier you are! Feather out the edges a bit when you are painting these on, as it will add to the effect of the finished product. 


Step 4: Using your deep red polish, add a little stroke of polish in the middle of the white section you have just painted. Again, don't worry about being super neat, but try to avoid getting polish outside of the white section.



Step 5: Using your black striper and small strokes, outline the outside of the white section. I usually do all of my strokes vertically to add a more feathered effect to the design. Also add a few strokes in the middle of the red section. 


Step 6: Add your favourite topcoat to seal in your design and ensure your newly done fingers are protected!




There you have it, a simple ikat inspired manicure. This design is really simple to do and you can mix up the colours any way you'd like! It would also look really good using neon shades rather than the darker shades I used in this tutorial.

If you're inspired by this tutorial, post a picture on Instagram using #prettiestpolish so I can see your lovely work! If you have any comments, suggestions for tutorials, or future blog posts you'd like to see, leave me a comment down below!

Have an amazing week, and may your nails be BEAUTIFUL!

No comments:

Post a Comment